University of California, Riverside

Architects & Engineers

Environmental Services/CEQA

The Environmental Services unit within the Office of Design & Construction is responsible for assuring campus compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA).

CEQA is the basis of environmental law and policy for the state of California. It requires multi-disciplinary review of environmental impacts and identification of possible measures to reduce or mitigate impacts. Consideration of these impacts and mitigation measures are required prior to approval of projects by the UCR campus and/or University of California Board of Regents.

Environmental Services:

  • Provides assistance and advice to any campus unit for University project proposals at both on and off campus locations to determine and complete the appropriate level of environmental documentation required, and incorporate environmental considerations during project design.
  • Prepares or manages the preparation of environmental documents (Initial Studies, Environmental Impact Reports, and Mitigation Monitoring Programs) in accordance with CEQA, and NEPA when federal funding is involved, to inform the decision makers (UC Regents, or UCR Chancellor) of the environmental consequences of project approval.
  • Conducts monitoring and reporting of compliance for all mitigation measures adopted as part of project approvals.
  • Prepares or manages the preparation of documentation and applications for environmental permits for campus activities requiring consultations and agreements with other agencies, including the California Department of Fish & Game, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and the Regional Water Quality Control Board.
  • Manages the process of obtaining coverage for construction storm water management under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Related Links